Labor and Capital - The Tipping Point

May 13, 2009
Posted by Jay Livingston

The struggles of organized labor may have had a change of venue since the days of copper mines and Joe Hill, but the melody lingers on. (Full story here.)
(Click on the picture for a larger view.)

I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night
Alive and looking well.
Says he, “I’ve left the mines. I’m at
The Essex House Hotel.
The Essex House Hotel.”

“Jumeira’s cut the workers’ hours
They’re handing out pink slips,
And if you work the banquet room,
They stiff you on your tips.
Two million bucks in tips.”

“We beat them at the Waldorf
The St. Regis and the Hyatt.
If three-hour strikes are what we need
To win, we’re gonna try it.
We’re surely going to try it.”

“Joe Hill ain’t dead, by God,” says he,
“He hasn’t changed his ways.
He’s standing with the busboys
And the waiters schlepping trays
The waiters schlepping trays.”

“From Mariott to Sheraton
To Plaza Athenée,
Where workers strike, Joe Hill is there
To see they get their pay.
Their tips and hourly pay.”

I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night
Alive and looking well
Right there beside the workers in
The Essex House Hotel
The Essex House Hotel.

No comments: