Science Ink

August 12, 2010
Posted by Jay Livingston

I can’t be in Atlanta for the ASA. But if I were there, I think I might be on the lookout for tattoos. Discover magazine has a collection of science tattoos.

(Click on the image for a larger view)

Is it cheating on your chemistry exam if you bring your forearm to class? The across-the-back formula is Schroedinger’s equation for the wavefunction of a particle (as if I really had to tell you).

You’d probably also recognize the finch beaks as Darwin’s, even without the signature.


The chemical on the right is Diazepam.

You can seem them all (there are at least 100) here.

What tattoos might sociologists get?

2 comments:

Faye Allard said...

I'd get myself a big picture of Karl Marx on my bicep, drawn in such a way when I flexed it looked like he was grinning, but when relaxed he would resume his normal scowl. It would be the perfect teaching tool... I can see it now "Marx" approves of your comment (flexes bicep).

tina said...

I'm sorry you won't be there, Jay. We'll miss you!